No Frills Trip Itineraries are curated by me. I search the internet, use my personal experiences, and contact my friends to find you the best spots and hidden gems! Please note that websites often change and if you find one that is now extinct, let me know! Have something to add? Leave a comment!
Email Amy @ email@example.com to get your own No Frills Trip designed for you and your family!
LODGING NOTE: Use this link to get you up to $40 off your stay of $75 or more!
Outdoor day excursions (that aren’t the beach):
- Gulf State Park Pier – great to walk around, people watch, fish. People do catch and release crabbing here. Good place for some photos, too. http://www.gulfshores.com/details/gulf-state-park-pier/17165/ You can also bike at the Gulf State Park
- Historic Ft. Morgan – Really cool things to see- http://www.fort-morgan.org/plan-your-visit/
- Trails and outdoor beauty at Hugh S. Braynon Backcountry Trail http://backcountrytrail.com/ or
- Waterville Waterpark – fun if you don’t want the saltwater – http://watervilleusa.com/attractions/waterpark
- Alabama Coast Zoo – http://www.alabamagulfcoastzoo.com/
- Deep sea fishing
- Alabama Coastal Birding Trails – http://www.alabamacoastalbirdingtrail.com/ and http://www.alabamacoastalbirdingtrail.com/trails/
- Drive over (and take the ferry) to Dauphin Island and the lighthouse there – http://townofdauphinisland.org/visitors
- USS Alabama tours – tour the ship! http://www.ussalabama.com/visiting-the-park/
- Take a dolphin cruise
- There are lots of other fun options such as ziplining, mini-golf, high ropes courses, etc
Indoor day excursions:
- Free aviation museum w/ free tours (see the Blue Angels!): http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/plan-visit/
- Love sports? Go here! Free. http://asama.org/
- Love railroad etc? See lots of cool trains for free here: http://www.foleyrailroadmuseum.com/
- Fire museum: http://www.museumofmobile.com/phoenix-fire-museum
Foley Outlets – http://www.tangeroutlet.com/foley (If you have a AAA card, you can get a free coupon book. They’re usually $5, which actually might be worth it if you know you’re going to buy a lot of things!)
The Wharf – lots of shopping, food, ferris wheel.
Local Food/Drinks to Try:
Try a Bushwacker drink (lots of places have them)
Popular local fish: shrimp, oysters, lionfish, fish tacos, crab, grouper, and red snapper
Eat some wickles
Key Lime Pie or bread pudding for dessert
Fresh food and best cocktail/happy hour – http://beachhousegs.com/index.html
Best donuts – http://www.citydonutob.com/