Before You Go: My Top 10 Things To Do Before Leaving Home
Headed out the door this winter? Here are my top 10 things I do before heading out on a trip any month of the year.
- Unplug: Unplug those low-drain devices, your internet, and anything that could get fried even if you have a surge protector. Leave your fridge and light timers ON!
- Clean: If you don’t want to do the whole house, at least clean the possibly stinky hot spots: laundry, fridge, take out the trash, dishes, toilets, sinks, and floors. Ok, so basically everything. Have kids? Make it a travel game! Offer a surprise for each day you’re gone for each completed cleaning task. I even wash all my sheets so they’re nice when I get home. There’s nothing better than coming home to a clean house.
- Groceries: I always have a quick, frozen meal ready for when I get home. I mean, who wants to go grocery shopping the day you get back? NO ONE! Pizza is the easiest by far.
- Car: I clean my car from top to bottom, inside and out before heading out on a trip. I want my car to be cozy and ready to roll. I also make sure to check my tires, fluids, and have emergency supplies on hand such as a blanket for winter driving. And fill up!
- House watching: Who is taking care of your house? Your mail? Your animals? I make sure to always have someone checking in or staying at my place!
- Water: Water your plants! Need I say more?
- Heat and A/C: Be smart! What do you need your thermostat set on? In the winter, you need to make sure and know the weather more than summertime. Do you need to keep heat on your pipes? Take care of this before you go!
- Lock Up: I’ve had a few break-ins in my life and one was due to not paying attention to my window locks. Make sure to lock everything, check everything, and then double check it. Where is your extra key? You might want to leave one with a friend or neighbor.
- Pack Right & Early: Start your packing list EARLY. I do! I use the computer AND phone app Wunderlist. It’s very simple, but I love the ease of it.
- Playlists & Podcasts: Yes, I get these ready on my phone and iPad so my road trips aren’t boring. Current 2018 favorites? I love audiobooks, RadioLab, and My Favorite Murder. Here is my Spotify Road Trip Playlist. I even have created playlists to match a certain location I’m off to such as New York or Alaska.